Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Grandma's Potpie

Ohh this one is personally my favorite dish to make for supper. Skubz would give it an 8/10 but in my book, it's a 20. I will say that this recipe is a bit involved, but worth it if you have the time.
I started craving this one pretty bad so I decided to put in the time for this totally homemade meal.
This recipe comes from Taste Of Home. I may not be the best at making fluted edges but hey, it tastes just as good I'm sure. 
So I ended up eating way more than I should have, and spent the majority of my evening regretting the decision to stuff my gut.
After making this as many times as I did, I have a few tips. First of all, I don't own a 9x9 pan but I do have an 8x8. So I usually just use 1 pound of hamburger and everything fits just fine. The potatoes have the potential to stay crunchy if you follow the recipe instructions, but if you put them at the very bottom of the pan, they cook to a nice soft texture.
I have tried "cheater" versions of this such as buying canned gravy or using a pre-made crust dough.... it doesn't come out nearly as tasty. Personally, I don't thaw the frozen veggies, and have never had an issue with them. I usually use a bean, corn and pea mix. I have also made this with chicken. Just substitute the broth for chicken broth, and the beef for a pound of chicken. Easy!


Grandma's Potpie
Ingredients
1-1/2 pounds ground beef
1 teaspoon onion powder
Salt to taste
1 cup cubed peeled potatoes
1 cup frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
1/4 cup butter, cubed
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
CRUST:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup shortening
3/4 cup milk
1 tablespoon butter, melted

Directions
In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in onion powder and salt. Transfer to a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Top with potatoes and vegetables.
Meanwhile, in a small skillet, melt the butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add broth. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over vegetables.
For crust, in a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk until a soft dough forms.
On a floured surface, roll dough into a 9-in. square. Place over filling; flute edges and cut slits in top. Brush with melted butter. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment