Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Crockpot Cheesy Chicken and Rice

Ohh this was an amazing recipe. I made this on Sunday. Yeah I am a little behind, but oh well! It had rained, constantly, all weekend. And it was cold! So as you can imagine, it was miserable.
I thought about making chili, but it just seemed too cliche. And I love trying new things, so I found this little gem.
It was easy, tasty, and it was made in a crock pot (my favorite!)
It also didn't require much in terms of ingredients.

Now with this pregnancy, I had a pretty severe hatred of chicken, particularly fried, but any talk about eating chicken was enough to make me gag. It seems here in the third trimester I have gotten over that. Just in time too, I was really starting to get tired of eating beef EVERYTHING.

And I wouldn't have found this!

I whipped up some biscuits to go with this also. That recipe came from Deals To meals. I can never get mine to look as amazingly buttery and moist as hers, but they still taste good. And the Cheesy Chicken and Rice recipe came from Southern Plate.
Just an FIY, this meal still tasted as good as the first time after we reheated the left overs!

Crockpot Cheesy Chicken and Rice
4 boneless skinless chicken breast

1 onion, chopped
1 8oz pack of Ben's Wild Rice, prepared to package instructions
1 cup of cheddar cheese
1 10.5oz can cream of chicken soup
1 15oz can of whole kernal corn, drained

Instructions
Place chicken breasts in the bottom of the slow cooker. Scatter chopped onion over chicken. Spoon cream of chicken soup on top. Cover and cook-
Low setting: 7-8 hours

High setting: 3-4 hours
A few minutes before serving, add in the cooked rice, corn and cheese. Stir to combine and shred chicken. Cover and let it heat through (about 10-15 minutes). Serve hot.

Ruth's Diners Mile High Biscuits
3 c. flour
1 1/2 t. salt
1 T. sugar
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1 stick butter
3/4 c. buttermilk (OR 3/4 c. milk + 2 T. lemon juice)
1 egg
1/4 c. water

Instructions
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Combine flour, salt, sugar, baking powder and butter until crumbly. Mix in buttermilk, egg and just enough water to make a workable dough. Mix the dough until it is just barely combined (don't over mix). Roll the dough onto a floured cutting board about 1 inch thick. Cut with a 2 inch biscuit cutter, or a 2 inch round cup. Place on a greased baking sheet (touching each other) and bake 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment