Saturday, October 13, 2012

Chili Cheese Dog Casserole

I've been slacking on supper the last few days. We've been having those awful boxed meals and such while I decided that I needed a break.
But tonight I am back!
Skubz and my step-dad were working on our broken dryer this afternoon. I was doing some relaxation/Mimz time, when I realized, that Skubz needed to be to work in about two hours, and I didn't even THINK about supper! So I pulled up some random recipe, and ran (or waddled) over to the store.
This is what we came up with for this evening: Chili Cheese Dog Casserole!
Yes, another cornbread recipe, but ya know what, Skubz loves cornbread so it works. I found this from Taste Of Home. I had to modify a bit, because I didn't want to chop up all the veggies that the recipe suggested.
When I was whipping this up, I also noticed that it was really tough to split the cornbread batter between the top and bottom layer, there just wasn't enough batter. I would suggest just putting it either on the top or the bottom instead of both.
Dinner did turn out as a success, it didn't take long and Skubz loved it.
I will be adding it to my collection of fast dinner recipes, for the next time I forget that Skubz works.

Chili Cheese Dog Casserole


Ingredients
1 8.5oz package corn bread/muffin mix
1 cup chopped green pepper
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 package hot dogs,cut into bite-size pieces
1 can (15 ounces) chili with beans
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Directions
Prepare corn bread batter according to package and spread half the batter into a greased 8x8 baking dish; set aside.
In a large skillet, saute the green pepper, onion and celery in oil until tender. Stir in hot dogs; heat 3-4 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Stir in the chili, brown sugar, garlic powder and chili powder; heat through. Stir in 3/4 cup cheese.
Spoon over corn bread batter; top with remaining corn bread batter. Sprinkle remaining cheese over the top.
Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 28-32 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment